1962 Torpedo 18b De Luxe #1266988
Status: My Collection
Created: 06-12-2014 at 01:42PM
Last Edit: 02-13-2016 at 03:55PM
This needs internal cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment, but I could tell as soon as my fingertips hit its keyboard that the "hype" about these Blue Birds being fine typing machines is no exaggeration. For now, it is pleasant enough to look at it!
- Mark Petersen's 196X Torpedo 18 with a wide carriage
- Nick B's gorgeous white 1961 Torpedo 18b with "Esquire" type
- Nick B's (yawn! ;-)) 1961 Torpedo 18b with Elite type (like mine has)
- Nick B's 1959 Torpedo 18a with a gorgeous Emperial Elite (aka Congress Elite) type
- Mark Rosenzweig's 1964 Torpedo 18b, the last model made at Torpedo factory in Frankfurt, Germany, before production was moved to Holland
- Nick B's 1962 Torpedo 18a with Elite Script type
- Nick B's 1956 Torpedo 18b with Imperial Pica type
- Nick B's 1956 Torpedo 18a (very different than the others) with Imperial Pica type
- Nick B's 1961 Torpedo 18a with Elite Script type
- My 18b
Hunter: Dan Johnson (rdj)
Status: Typewriter Hunter
I have always loved typewriters along with other kinds of well-engineered tools and devices such as slide rules, calculators (particular HP), radios, cameras (particularly Nikons), and microscopes. In addition to appreciating their intrinsic beauty and utility, they represent "things that need to be figured out to be understood". That's how I first learned about computers and programming in the 1970s, by figuring things out for myself. It's activity in which I never seem to tire of engaging.
Although communities have arisen around other collection interests, typewriters have the advantage that those who use them also typically enjoy communicating through words, whether those words are about the machines themselves or their lives, hopes, dreams, or expressions of beauty. There's much to be appreciated here.
RESEARCH NOTE: When researching the Torpedo 18b De Luxe on a computer with lots of screen real estate, you may find that launching the Torpedo Serial Number page and the Torpedo 18b De Luxe By Model/Year/Serial page in new browser windows can give you interesting perspectives on changes throughout the model series.