The following are known or suspected of having been repainted not as
their original models but as various Harry A. Smith models: Harris
Visible / Rex Visible, Victor, Emerson, Burnett, National portable.
[Harry A. Smith - No. 4, and complete Smith history @ Davis Typewriter Works]
Brand: Emerson Also known as • Harry A. Smith (Emerson) • Roebuck
Serial Number Table Last Edited: 07/28/16 08:27
NOTE: dates shown are JAN 1 unless noted, so the serial number shown is the *first* serial number produced the given year. Exceptions are serial numbers preceded by "up to"(where you can assume that the numbers reported in that subsection are DECEMBER 31, END OF YEAR NUMBERS) or rows where a month is given in the month column. If the serial number is shown as a range (xxxx-xxxx) it indicates that we know the entire range of serial numbers for the given year.
|Models and s/n||Y||Remarks||Ref.|
|No. 3 "Visible"||1902-1908||
Filed May 12, 1902 • Issued Dec 30, 1902
Patented on December 30, 1902 by Richard W. Uhlig, and produced by Emerson Typewriter Co.
which was incorporated September, 1907 with capital of $500,000 under President H. Mitchell.
After design work in Kittery, Maine it was first produced in Momence, Illinois for a target price of $50.
Typewriter Topics announces the first introduction of production machines in 1909.
Marketed first from 165-167 High St., Boston, Mass. office general manager George M. A. Fecke,
marketing offices moved to Chicago, Ill. in 1908.
3-Bank frontstroke with unique vertical split rotary typebars that swung in from either side. Most examples are labelled as "No. 3", though 2 distinct versions exist: one has a straight lower edge to the frame and the other has a scalloped skirt.
Fecke remains general manager in Chicago's McCormick Building on Michigan Boulevard while E. Ralph Smith (former general manager of Hammond Typewriter Co. and export manager at Blickensderfer Co.) heads Emerson Typewriter Sales Company sales office at 309 Broadway covering markets in NY, Penn., South and Central America, Mexico and West Indies.
R. W. Uhlig quickly departed the venture soon after launch to pursue other typewriter patents. Emerson manufacturing is moved to Woodstock, Ill. in May of 1910. The new factory is opened on April 21, 1910 and begins production on May 15, 1910. Reportedly, the title to the building is conditional on the company making and marketing at least 10 typewriters a day by 1913.
A. Mueller & Co. of Zurich begins distributing Emerson typewriters in the Eastern Hemisphere.
On March 7, 1911, Emerson's board passed an increase of the capital stock of the company from $50k to $250k.
Alvah Curtis Roebuck, recently divested of Sears-Roebuck, purchases and becomes president of Emerson Typewriter Co. which soon becomes Roebuck Typewriter Co.
A new front-stroke design is announced (but not yet produced).
Alvah Roebuck begins filing patents for new 4-bank frontstroke design that becomes the "Woodstock" in 1913 and 1914. Patents granted in 1915.
Company name changed to Woodstock Typewriter Co. The 3-bank Emerson design is discontinued in favor of the new "Woodstock No. 3" 4-bank frontstroke in Sept 1914. Remaining inventory and Emerson parts sold to Harry A. Smith and sold off as "Smith" typewriters.
Professionally printed, coil bound workshop repair manuals.