Serial Number Table Last Edited: 07/29/16 04:22
NOTE: dates shown are JAN 1 unless noted, so the serial number shown is the *first* serial number produced the given year. Exceptions are serial numbers preceded by "up to"(where you can assume that the numbers reported in that subsection are DECEMBER 31, END OF YEAR NUMBERS) or rows where a month is given in the month column. If the serial number is shown as a range (xxxx-xxxx) it indicates that we know the entire range of serial numbers for the given year.
|Models and s/n||Y||Remarks||Ref.|
Filed Jan 21, 1902 • Issued Sep 5, 1905
Filed Sep 7, 1904 • Issued Jul 24, 1906
|First envisioned in 1901 by Jerome B. Secor, who filed patents granted in 1905-1906 for his design,
it is reported that he worked for ten years perfecting his machine before production began in 1911.
Secor became associated with Williams Typewriter Co. and his first machines were produced in the Williams factory in Derby, Conneticut U.S.A., later: Secor Typewriter Co., Derby U.S.A.
Full name as printed on the front is "Secor Standard Visible Writing and Billing Machine".
The Secor was high-quality, feature-rich and costly to manufacture, and only 7000 were made.
|No. 1||1911-1913||Four row keyboard front stroke, 42 keys, 76 characters. Features removable escapement, impression and alignment adjustment, backspacer, 14-figure decimal tabulator, bicolor ribbon, automatic ribbon reverse. Platen length: 9.0625"||16,61,78|
|Secor Junior||1912-1913||Re-introduced Williams No. 2 sold for $50 with normal carriage or $70 with wide carriage (14" wide platen writing 12" line).||16,61|
|No. 2 and 3||1914||Four row keyboard front stroke, No. 2 has 84 characters and has a platen length of 9.375".||16,61,78|
|1915||Secor's property was seized by the Ousatonic Water Power Co. of Derby, Conn. USA and the tooling offered for sale in 1915. The tools, parts and remaining machines were purchased by Taylor's Typewriter Co., Ltd., of 74 Chauncery Lane, London, W. C. who then became the spare parts dealer for Williams, Secor and Stearns.||83|
|1916-1924||The Williams/Secor factory building was sold in January, 1916 to the Maxim Munitions Corp., and the production machines patents were offered in newspapers in 1924.||4,16,65|
Professionally printed, coil bound workshop repair manuals.